Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A bit of Non-fiction

There is a girl in my literature class who I think I would despise. I have deducted that she is a poet; she has a knowledge of Frost and the different styles like iambic pentameter and couplets and all that. Her eye make-up is always smudged and she wears fake nails, dirty brown shoes and a hoodie. The nails don't make sense with the rest of her. Her hair is always a nappy mess. Today she is wearing two hoodies: a navy one and her everyday-worn brown hoodie with mushroom print lining.
I see her falling in love with some phony old English professor, like the one played by Donald Sutherland in "Animal House" who is actually full of shit but she thinks he is so deep and "gets her."
She seems like the type of girl who would totally take herself and her writing so seriously, but it is actually so mundane and typical. Like the "poetry" we all wrote when we were sixteen. Like Jewel's book of poems. A line of Shel Silverstein's poems are deeper than all the pages of her Mead notebook combined.
She probably thinks she isn't understood or appreciated for the creative, delicate flower she is. But then again, she may think her loneliness is good for her writing.
She makes notes of everything the professor says, which plays a part in my affair suspicions. I don't think she would have an affair with this professor though; he isn't some pot-smoking romantic-era bullshitter, not at all like the theoretical professor I described before.
She will never be a Dylan Thomas (<3) or a realist like T.S. Eliot, she will write forever in mediocrity. She reads too much into symbolism in stories, which tells me her poems are probably full of symbols and metaphors. But like the way she misreads symbols in class, her poems are probably all wrong. Her constant note-taking tells me she doesn't form these ideas on her own, that she constantly cares about what others. But alas, like this tragic main character, perhaps I am reading too much into it.
But then again, the other day in class she just started reading another student's test answers, so I really think I am right.

No comments: