Sunday, March 18, 2007

why this irish girl hates st. patrick's day.

St. Patrick's Day is the day of recognition for St. Patrick, who brought Catholicism to the island of Ireland. Being Protestant, I do not celebrate Catholic holidays.
Also, I don't know how many of my readers are Cathoic, but every Saint has their own day. Why is it in America we only celebrate St. Patrick's Day? What about All Saint's Day, the Catholic give recognition to all the Saint's, including St. Patrick?
Oh, that's right. Because all Irish are alcoholics. Because no other Saint's Day revolves around a country that does nothnig but drink.
In Ireland, on St. Patrick's Day, the Protestants do nothing and the Catholics go to church.
On Friday, in America, a girl in my sociology class was wearing a green wig, over-sized leprechaun hat, Lucky Charms pajama pants, and green round shades. I wanted to shake her. I wanted to fucking scream. Hunter suggested I speak to her like she had downs syndrome, but she ran away before I could. Catholics don't ever believe in leprechauns, you shithead.
Last night, the streets overflowed with drunk sorority girls, wearing green Mardi Gras beads (which they probably earned doing rather un-Catholic things) with scanty green pieces of fabric. Do you think they went to church this morning?
I am sick of this holiday. I am sick of the disgusting Americaniszed version of it at least. A bar downtown had an "Erin Go Bra" contest last night, theprize going to the girl with the best bra. St. Patrick didn't bring Catholicism to Ireland for this shit.
You want to dress Irish? Well your $70 Britches green tunic is way to much than most can afford. You want to act Irish? A lot of the Irish live in poverty. They aren't alcoholics. They aren't leprechauns.
Choose a new saint's day to ruin. You've humped all the life and virtue out of this one.

No comments: